The first Radio Survey Results for 2016 are in and the Hit Network has seen some of the most significant growth nationally YoY with a 24% increase in P18-39 & 8% increase for P40-54. Overall this growth may be largely attributed to the strength of breakfast audiences across all markets nationally.
Nova continues to perform consistently across both key demos (P18-39 & P40-54) nationally. Nova have been able to maintain all key talent coming into the new year which positions them in a favourable and stable position.
Triple M is the only network to record double digit growth YOY (up 21%) for P40-54. Nationally they have secured the number one position for the older demo across the M-F BMAD daypart. This places the network as the clear national choice for P40-54.
Interestingly the Smooth network has increased in popularity with the younger audience (up 25% YOY) while they have seen a decrease in their older audience (-9%). This shift has resulted in the younger demo (P18-39) representing a higher percentage of the total Smooth audience.
Read on for more from OMD’s Off-Screen Dream Team.
- With 2 surveys now under their belt it was going to be interesting to see if Rove & Sam’s breakfast show would find it’s feet and start to ramp up in numbers for 2DayFM, and they have been able to increase 4% from Survey 8 for P18-39; they are up over 30% YOY though since the then-launch of the Dan & Maz breakfast show. The next couple of surveys will be good to watch out as they hopefully continue to increase.
- KIIS has won it out comfortably for Survey 1 P18-39, setting themselves up for the year with a 27% share. Hughesy & Kate’s drive show help driving this with a 94% increase since Survey 8 & 53% YOY. This big increase should now see the drive show and KIIS start to steady out. KIIS was closely followed by Nova on 20%, who remain steady SOS.
- Whereas P40-54 has seen WSFM as the consistent performer taking out Surveys 1-7 last year, KIIS then won Survey 8 but we now see 2MMM at number 1 for the start of the year. This can be attributed somewhat to Merrick Watts’ drive show, which saw a 30% on Survey 8 and 18% YOY since his first survey in the drive slot.
- Both Breakfast & Drive are seeing declines in listenership YOY for P40-54, P18-39 are seeing increases of 9% & 23% respectively.
Although 2GB win the survey on total people audiences, it continues to be a race between KIIS and seeing if Nova will close the gap on them finally in 2016.
SYDNEY MON-FRI BMAD
KEY HIGHLIGHTS MELBOURNE
- Looking at the Melbourne radio market overall (P10+) we can see that radio is slightly down YOY (-4%) & SOS (-2%). Drilling down we can see that this decrease has come from the younger radio audience. While the older audience (P40-54) has seen an increase both YOY (4%) and SOS (12%) across the M-F BMAD dayparts our younger demo (P18-39) BMAD M-F has comparatively seen a decrease in listenership YOY (-7%) & SOS (-10%).
- It’s been a strong start to the year for SCA with FOX dominating the younger demo (P18-39) and Triple M performing well against P40-54.
- Despite SOS decreases across all dayparts (Breakfast: -31%, Drive: -27% & BMAD: -27%) FOX remains the clear market leader and has recorded strong YOY growth against P18-39 (Breakfast: 12%, Drive: 17% & BMAD: 19%).
- Eddie, Mick & Darcy (3MMM Breakfast) have taken back the number one position, from 3AW against P40-54, with an impressive 47% increase SOS. 3AW have held the number one spot for the past 3 surveys after stealing the position from Triple M in Survey 6 of 2015.
- Triple M have also taken over the number 1 BMAD position for P40-54 with a SOS increase of 65%.
It will be interesting to see if SCA can maintain the strength of FOX & Triple M throughout 2016.
MELBOURNE MON-FRI BMAD
KEY HIGHLIGHTS BRISBANE
BRISBANE SURVEY RESULTS
- Drum roll please…… The winner for the number one breakfast team for p18-39 is SCA’s Hit105. Nova’s breakfast team maintained the top spot throughout all of 2015, until now! As the newly appointed breakfast host along with Stav and Abby Osher Gunsberg aka (Andrew G) would be rubbing his hands together. Hit105 have increase their audience Listenership by 44% SOS. SCA would praying that their newly appointed host maintains his popularity with the younger demo.
- Nova and Hit105 once again lead the pack in the drive daypart against p18-39. Both stations would be happy to see a 12% SOS increase. Taking out the number one spot four surveys running is Hit’s Hamish and Andy. The duo continue to go from strength to strength. With SCA changing their drive talent to the very popular duo the listenership has grown 16% YOY whilst Kate, Tim and Marty who have been broadcasting since 2014 have seen a 6% decrease in listenership YOY.
- ARN’s 97.3FM once again have taken out the number one position against p40-54 across both Breakfast and Drive. 97.3 had a strong lead in Breakfast across all of 2015 however survey 1 has displayed some interesting results. 4MMM’s breakfast duo Marto and Ed Kavalee are trailing close behind. The guys have seen a 21% increase SOS. This spike can usually be attributed to Triple M’s coverage of the summer spot season however this does not explain the duos 37% increase in Listenership YOY. This figure can be more likely explained through the duos increasing popularity against the older demo.
- Interestingly if we are to look at the figures for p10+ Nova seem to come out on top however all in all this has been a great survey for SCA for both younger and older demos.
It will be interesting to note if Hit105 can hold on to the number one breakfast spot for p18-39 with Nova close on their heels. We predict that ARN’s 97.3 will reclaim the thrown for number 1 across BMAD for the older demo.
BRISBANE MON-FRI BMAD
KEY HIGHLIGHTS ADELAIDE
- Survey #1 for 2016 has resulted in a few big shake ups throughout Adelaide
- Cat & Amos have taken out the key Breakfast slot for HIT107 against P18-39 for the first time since survey 2 in 2013. Since Cat joined the team in April 2015, the show has been growing steadily, and after an unexpected decline in Survey 8, they have surged back to take the #1 spot from Nova’s Lewis & Lowe
- With further growth in drive with Hamish & Andy (+132% YOY) Hit107 have comfortably won the Mon – Fri BMAD for P18-39 for the 4th survey in a row
- Hits and Old Skool with English Chris (HIT107) now holds the top audience against P18-39 with an average of 16,380 listeners across the morning timeslot
- Triple M’s Iron Hayden mornings have also seen a significant increase survey on survey – this timeslot is the highest reaching against P40-54 with an average of 13k listeners across Adelaide
- Overall, despite seeing audience increases survey on survey – both Breakfast & Drive have taken a hit against P40-54 down 8 and 6 percent respectively vs Survey #1 201
With a few key shake ups in Survey #1, OMD predict that MIX will be out to regain their lost audiences against both key demographics.
ADELAIDE MON-FRI BMAD
KEY HIGHLIGHTS PERTH
PERTH SURVEY RESULTS
- All dayparts on key demos are up SOS, with P40-54 seeing the biggest increases in Drive (+35%) & BMAD (+24%).
- MIX 94.5 shows no signs of slowing down on the older P40-54 audiences, as once again it takes out the top spots in Breakfast, Drive & BMAD for the 12th survey in a row. The network also has announced the AFL broadcast of every home and away game for the Dockers and Eagles, which has the potential to close the gap on the younger P1839 audience that Nova has held onto. Against P10+, their main competitor for the #1 spot is Nova, with MIX’s Drive audience increasing at a slightly faster pace.
- Nova has maintained the #1 spot against P1839 on Breakfast & BMAD, just slightly missing taking the crown across all 3 dayparts. Nova’s growth YOY on P40-54 has been notably high, particularly with Kate, Tim and Marty increasing Drive audiences by a staggering 139%, yielding the highest audience it’s seen in quite some time. The network is #1 on P10+ against Breakfast & Drive, and is experiencing growth in BMAD at #2, while #1 MIX 94.5 has seen decreases (albeit minimal) SOS and YOY.
- Hit92.9 has also seen growth across the board, however is still far behind the leader on P40-54. Their bread and butter remains on the younger demo, as Hamish and Andy have edged their way to #1 on Drive, and have taken a solid position at #2 across the other dayparts. They are seeing a lift on P10+ across all dayparts, a feat only Nova can share.
The battle for #1 on P1839 remains between Hit 92.9 and Nova. Nova just needs a slight boost on Drive to win Survey #2.
PERTH MON-FRI BMAD